Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bumble Bee? rare bee? or not rare bee? that is the question?

Buff - Tailed Bumblebee Bombus terrestris?


After posting this"Bumble Bee"photo on the my blog last night it already has a few naturalist asking questions? To start with....Yes, this photo was taken in my garden here on Fair Isle, Shetland.
I have to admit I looked in my Collins - Complete British Insects Guide Book?
Once there I was a bit confused, though I was drawn to the photo of Bomus terrestis it didn't have the ginger fringe on the tail? (a trait of the Queen?) So I just called it "Bee! 1st of the year!"And I was very happy with that, if it turns out to be a first for Shetland I'll be thrilled...

to quote one naturalist: 
 "It looks to be a very fresh looking Bombus terrestris queen – a species which has not yet been recorded in Orkney or Shetland so far as I know. Was the photo definitely taken on Fair Isle?
 If so it’s a very surprising find!"

I have added 4 more photos to make sure the identification is correct.







What do you think? 
Could it Bee a 1st for Fair Isle, Shetland & Orkney?

From an Email from Fair Isle's Nick Riddiford in Majorca:
Yes, you've got the bee world buzzing. Northernmost UK record; first northern isles record for Buff-Tailed Bumblebee Bombus terrestris, congrats. Significant find.






Added march 29th 2012
Henry's Bee found in the school play ground - Photo by Amber

Two days ago when I told my son 11 year old son Henry that I saw the first Bee of spring... He said, "Ha! I had one yesterday in the school playground." Cheeky! So yesterday when I told Henry that the Bumble Bee I saw was a first for Fair Isle, Shetland & Orkney he thought he should have that record. As Henry tried to steal my thunder once again, I told him he should of taken a photo. He remembered he didn't but, his classmate Amber did with the school camera! I made a call last night and I was emailed this photo this morning from the school teacher. (Thanks Lisa!) Ha! not the same Bee! but I have not definitive identification for this species either? My Collins Guide Book - Complete British Insects isn't showing any Bee in this stage or view? using the book my best guess was Bombus pascuorum? or Bombus muscorum? but I went online to the Bumble Bee Conservation Trust website for further help with their guides and photos and now think it maybe Bombus humilis Brown Banded Carder Bee?

I need your help! again? what will it Bee?


Hey kids! the pros say it's a very early record of 
Bombus muscorum (Shetland Bumble Bee)
earliest ever recorded in Shetland

3 comments:

  1. Tommy - you have struck again!Your garden is a wonderful place as I know only too well but you have to be looking and observant!

    Well done - you will have to start counting your Pan-species now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tommy i was thinking taking a trip soon to come to stay for a weekend as i like the your photos on your blog and scotland too, so is there any cheap hotels near you, if so let me know many thanks from neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Guest House... See B&B link on my blog on top of the page

      Delete